Customer Preparation for Common Insect Problems
How to Deal with Common Insects
For effective and safe treatment it is important that the following steps be taken when your home is being sprayed for cockroaches, ants, silverfish/firebrats, all stored product pests such as flour beetles, weevils or Mediterranean and Indian meal moths and all common insects.
- Remove all food items, dishes, utensils, cookware, etc. from cupboards and drawers – both top and bottom – in the kitchen. Do not place these items on your counters, as the backsplash area may require a crack and crevice application. You can put these either above or below your kitchen table and cover with sheets, tarps or plastic garbage bags or store temporarily in some other area of the home.
- Remove all items from bathroom vanities above and below the sink. Place within the bathtub for temporary storage if required.
- Remove items from shelves and floor areas of bedrooms, linen, and any other storage spaces within the home. Clothes hanging up in cupboards can remain where they are.
- Pull all furniture and appliances away from the walls about one foot in order to give access to the baseboards throughout the home.
- All windows are to be closed prior to the treatment. All adults, children and pets (including birds, etc.) are to be away from the home for a minimum of six hours after the treatment time. Any aquariums/fishbowls are to be unplugged and covered over. Any occupants with asthma, children under two years of age or pregnant women should remain out a minimum of eight hours.
After You Return
If you choose, you can air out your home by opening all windows and doors for 5 to 15 minutes. Use a fan to help circulate the air if possible. There should be minimal odour and the odour will not harm you in any way, but it is something you are not used to. It will lessen within 24 to 48 hours.
Do not wash baseboards or interior cupboard surfaces for at least four weeks. You should place either wax paper or paper towels on the bottom of all your cupboards and drawers before returning your food items, dishes, etc. You can remove the paper if desired after four weeks. This acts as a barrier between the surface area that was treated and your belongings.
What Can You Expect?
Activity will be seen. Do not panic; this is normal and must occur. Not all insects are eliminated 100% at the time of treatment. Individual insect biology is different and there is a time factor of allowing for continued insect movement across the material applied. It is necessary for the insect to accumulate enough material to be affected.
Report any activity noted beyond one month from the time of treatment to Lloyd Pest Control Services Ltd. in Oshawa. You can reach us at either 905-436-0111 or toll-free at 1-866-576-6177.
Schedule an appointment